The work plan is organized in ten scientific and technological Workpackages, including dissemination and exploitation and of the results, and project management, which outline the methodology and the evolution of the project considering both its functional and architectural aspects. The WP articulation will be the following:
- WP1 (SAR imaging and analysis) will be dedicated to imaging, and analysis by using SAR (Synthetic Aperture Radar). Long term SAR data will come from satellite-hosted platforms. Meanwhile, new methods will be implemented and tested for detection of oil spills and classification of surface phenomena in multipolarisation high-resolution SAR images.
- WP2 (Hyperspectral-Thermal Analysis) will concern with hyperspectral and thermal infrared image analysis (by using CASI-Compact Airborne Spectrographic Imager, spectroradiometer, TABI thermal airborne broadband imager, and satellite image if available), Airborne sensors will be operated and hosted on mobile platforms (helicopter/vessel). Appropriate methodology and algorithms will be developed for oil spill type and thickness detection. Hyperspectral and thermal analysis will be supported by in-situ measurements. The methodology will be tested and evaluated through project test activities.
- WP3 (Electronic Nose) will be devoted to the application of Electronic Nose technology to the monitoring of oil/hydrocarbons spills in marine environment. E-nose technology will be adapted to this specific goal, and the sensor will be engineered to be remotely controlled, hosted both on an autonomous buoy and aboard of a AUV.
- WP4 (Underwater Monitoring Technologies) will be dedicated to the development of underwater monitoring technologies which will be used for both preventive action to detect possible unauthorized access to a sensitive protected area (i.e., a marine park), and environmental monitoring and post-accident action to detect and localize oil spillage in a confined area by using AUVs.
- In the WP5 (Mathematical Modelling) a mathematical modelling system will be setup and applied to the study sites. The system will be linked to external operational forecast data products already available for the Mediterranean Sea. Such a modelling will be strictly linked with MIS and its Decision Support System.
- Through the WP6 (The ARGO-Geomatrix Platform and the integrated communication system) the ARGO-Geomatrix platform will be developed. The purpose will be to set up and realize a telecommunication infrastructure able to: 1) guarantee efficient transport of general purpose information through means of propagation, 2) give full support to several communication devices, high level protocols, and 3) give full and accurate information about the position of each operator (either prepared specialists or casual user) in the End-User (PNAT and NMPZ partners) context (environment).
- In WP7 (The Marine Information System) the implementation of an integrated Marine Information System (MIS) will be approached. Obtained heterogeneous information spatially and temporally distributed, will be merged and elaborated through an information system where remote sensing data, field experiment results, and estimates from simulation models can be integrated, and tools for data storage and retrieval, data manipulation and analysis, as well as for presentation, are available through a common interface.
- In WP8 (Test and Field Validation), test activity will be carried out. Both static and dynamic will be collected. Tests of the various sensor platforms will be performed during the overall length of the ARGOMARINE Project. During the first phase of the project the test activity will be carried out in an independent fashion by each group involved, in order to evaluate their analytical characteristics, while, during 3rd year, a final test exercise will be carried out on the overall system, in real operational situations.
- Dissemination and exploitation of project results will be faced in the WP9 (Dissemination and Exploitation of Project Results): specific actions will be set up, along with a workshop and a media-broadcast campaign, in order to promote the achievements of ARGOMARINE. Multiple disseminating actions will be carried out at local, national and international level Results of the project will be disseminated through different channels.
Project Management is described in the WP10 and will aim at a cost-effective development of technical and scientific activities, preventing and overcoming critical situations from both technical, and financial/administrative points of view, and finally ensuring the respect of all obligations of the consortium regarding procedures and deadlines.
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-34897087-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);